Nan-Heng-shan
Main Southern Sacred Mountain of China
China has a well-known system of Nine Most-Sacred Mountains, divided as five sacred to the
ancient Daoist religion & the Confucian / Neo-Confucian imperial cult, and four sacred to Buddhism.

This sub-range or cluster of 72 peaks, about 150 kilometres (93 miles) long, is collectively the
designated "Southern Peak" of the Five Great Imperial Daoist-Confucian mountains.  Its name is
Héng Shān [衡山, Balancing Mountain] and it is also called Nányuè [南岳, South Peak or Crags,
Nam-ak in Korean].  Daoist Master Wei Hua-cun (251-334 CE) first established a teaching-temple
here after years as a meditating-hermit, and became known by the appellation "Nanyue Furen"
[South Marchmount Good-fortune-man].

The Nányuè Héng-shān mountains are located south of
Changsha City, capital of Húnán Province
(south of the Yangtze River), an important Chinese logistics & trading center since the Qin Dynasty
(221–207 BCE)., but mostly within Hengshan County [衡山县].   The Zhurong Peak is the summit of
all Nányuè Héng-shān at 1,300.2 metres
(4266 ft) above sea level -- the shortest of these 5, 2nd-
lowest of the great 9.   Mt. Yuelu-shan in Changsha is the north end of the sub-range, considered
the geomantic root, and Huiyan-yue Peak is the southern end and terminus,
At the southern foot of the Zhurong Summit of Nányuè Héng-shān, in the northern sector of ancient
Hengshan Town of Hengshan County, sits the
Nányuè Da-miao [南岳大庙, South Peak Grand
Imperial-Shrine], a.k.a. the Great Temple of Mount Heng, and a.k.a. Su-shan [Longevity Mountain,
representing the Yu-heng Star of the Big Dipper].  This is the largest traditional temple in all southern
China and largest group of ancient-style buildings in Hunan Province, and is now the main attraction
of the Heng-shan National Key Tourist Resort Zone.

The Nányuè Da-miao was probably first built in the Qin Dynasty and expanded during the Han era
(206 BCE - 220 CE), but the first historical records remaining to us of its re-construction are from
725, just before the middle of the Tang Dynasty (618-907).  At least since that time, it has been a
combined Daoist and Buddhist monastery, with Imperial Confucian significance.  Records say that
at that time it was officially named "Heaven-Governor Huo-King Temple" [司天霍王庙], and changed
during the Yuan Dynasty to "South Heaven Genuine Master Temple" [南天真君祠];  and that it has
benefited from imperial-financed large-scale renovations sixteen times.  

After being burned in the wars at the end of the Ming Dynasty (1368-1644), it was rebuilt by the Qing
Dynasty in the late 1600s -- this time following the architectural layout of the Emperor's Palace in
Beijing, and thus earning the nickname "Minor Palace in South China".  The last time it was rebuilt in
the traditional age was near the end of the Qing, in 1882.

The majority of the basic buildings still exist today, although they were extensively damaged during
the "Cultural Revolution" madness (1965-75) -- their precious statues, scriptural collections, stone
tablets and inscribed sign-boards, were all destroyed.   Modern renovation projects started in the
1980s, and by now this grand temple has been rehabilitated and reopened as a tourist attraction;  
I don't know if any mountain-worship rituals are being held by local authorities or associations,
as revival of the elaborate imperial
Fengchan [封禅, Contemplation of Bestowing Noble Rank;
Bongseon in Korean] ceremonies.   This is again a pilgrimage destination for spiritual people from
all of Greater China, and also from Korea, Southeast Asia and Japan;  Buddhist festivals are now
held on the main Buddhist holidays.
X
The Nányuè Da-miao is now about 98,500 square-meters in size.  There are nine major imperial-
Confucian buildings along its central axis, and 8 Daoist Hall-complexes along its eastern side and 8
Buddhist Hall-complexes along its western side.   The three religions of Neo-Confucianism, Daoism
and Buddhism therefore share and co-exist within this Grand Shrine, a very rare case in all China.

The main gate of this complex is named Lingxing-men [Abundant Talents Emerge to Serve the
Nation], a very auspicious Neo-Confucian term that was never otherwise used to name a temple-
gate -- the only other case is the front gate of the Imperial Temple of Confucius in Qufu.

There is a Imperial Tablet Pavilion named Yubei-ting enshrining a reproduction of the tablet inscribed
and bestowed by Emperor Kangxi (r. 1661-1722), on which he wrote the "Memorial for the Temple of
Heng-shan Renovation" with 279 characters
(the original tablet was destroyed in the Cultural Revolution).  
The first sentence reads, "Heng-shan is the giant pillar in South, corresponding to the Yu-heng Star
of the Big Dipper; and it is also called Su-shan [Longevity Mtn]."
The Main Hall of Nan-Hengshan's Nanyue Da-miao Temple, named Zhudian Hall
There was originally a statue of the Heng-shan Shanshen [Mountain-spirit; Sanshin in Korean] or
Yueshen [Peak-spirit] in the Grand Zhudian Hall, to which all the past emperors all paid tribute.   
In the early Tang Dynasty he was designated "Heavenly-Governor Huo-King", but later in Tang this
was changed to "Genuine Master of Heng-shan".   In Song Dynasty it was named the "Heavenly
Governor Zhaosheng Emperor", and that tittle seems to have remained through the Qing.   The
traditional statue and paintings were destroyed in the Cultural Revolution,  and the current statue
designated as the "Superior Emperor of Heng-shan" was created and enshrined in 1983.



Other notable sites in the Nányuè Héng-shāna include a Buddhist monastery founded in the 8th
century named Zhusheng-si,  and a small stone-built temple called Zhurong-gong.


                                                                                   {
all 3 photos here are from the Wikipedia Commons}
Yubei-ting Tablet-pavilion of the Nanyue Da-miao Temple